Sunday, May 31, 2009

You know...?



I'm going to rail on people who say "you know?" way to fucking much, because... honestly... it is condescending.

I find that when people say the phrase, they expect you to agree with what they just said... which, 99% of the time is not the case.
Example of a recent one I have been subject to:

"So, I just bought the latest MacBook Pro and the guy told me I looked like the white Kanye West, you know? It was awesome"

N please.

It has taken on a life much like the phrases "literally" (which no longer means literally, if you haven't heard) and "word" (which, again does not mean word.)

It is the natural evolution of a language and its words to morph their meaning with the forward march of time... each tick and tock making words like "verily" null and void.... each click of your second hand erasing "forsooth"... but sometimes, enough is enough. And the worst thing about a language changing, is what was once a cool slang used by those "in the know" becomes the tag line for every idiot with a computer to prove they are hip.

Of late, I only hear douche-bags use this phrase. Let me provide an example:


"So I was grinding up on this chick at the club and my belt got caught on her clit ring, right? This shit happens, you know?"

No.
No, man, I don't know.
That is pure bullshit.

Maybe I should change my qualm. Perhaps I should use that phrase as a marker for a sentence filled with nothing but fallacies and flagrant, ego massaging crap.

Hmm. Yes, the phrase is condescending and a tell-tale sign of horse shit.
I rest my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home